Can a Chiropractor Help With Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
Do you face pain in your wrist or fingers? This may be a symptom of carpal tunnel syndrome. Don’t worry about this. Chiropractors Longview TX can help you to treat carpal tunnel syndrome. Let’s face what is it, it causes, syndrome and find the answer can a chiropractor can help with carpal tunnel syndrome?
Carpal tunnel is a common work injury. From the survey of American family physics, about 3 to 6 percent of adults have the carpal tunnel syndrome.
For people who are afraid of invasive treatment such as surgery or steroid injection, chiropractic adjustment can be a good option.
What Happens When You Have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
You can not realize how many times you use your wrist in a single day. From brushing your teeth to playing piano, playing tennis, typing on keyboard and lots of time you have to use your wrist. As a result, high pressure creates on the ligaments, tendons, muscles, and nerves of your wrist.
Compression of one of the major nerves of the hand known as the median nerve is responsible for carpal tunnel syndrome.
The most common symptoms of carpal tunnel are pain, numbness, and tingling in the hand, forearm, thumb, and index finger. The pain also travels on your shoulder.
Sometimes, you feel shock like sensations to your thumb, index, middle, and ring fingers as carpal tunnel syndrome.
Besides, carpal tunnel syndrome causes weakness in your hand. You are unable to hold something and begin to drop things from your hand. Symptoms of carpal tunnel tend to worse when people try to use their wrist.
Untreated carpal tunnel syndrome will cause severe damage to your median nerve. Then it needs surgery to recover your affected nerve. Which creates more complexity like bleeding, infection, and so on.
Wrist chiropractors in Longview can treat carpal tunnel syndrome effectively without the risk of surgery. We have an expert team of chiropractor for wrist pain.
How Chiropractic Care Can Help Improve Your Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
At first, chiropractor finds the exact cause of your syndrome. Then, treat your carpal tunnel syndrome according to cause. For example, if the problem is in the upper spine. Then chiropractic care will focus on relieving pressure on the nerve. On the other hand, if symptoms are the result of pressure on carpal tunnel. Then chiropractor treats with manipulation on your wrist.
The following three common treatments are very effective and well-recognized for carpal tunnel syndrome. Almost all chiropractors give priority to these.
- Adjustments of the upper spine, arm, and wrist: When the spine is not in right place, it can enhance carpal tunnel syndrome. A chiropractor uses spinal manipulation therapy to realign the spine. Usually, chiropractor uses hand for this therapy. But sometimes he can use a special device or special table which is systematically made only for chiropractic treatment. Besides chiropractors also manipulate your arm and wrist.
- Ultrasound therapy: Chiropractor also applies ultrasound therapy. The emitted ultrasound waves are focused and penetrate tissue on deep level. These sound waves do a good job to reduce inflammation and relaxing your muscle.
- Wrist supports: The main goal of wrist supports is to put your wrist properly aligned, straight and neutral. That helps to reduce pressure and compression on your median nerve. Most people keep bending their wrists during sleep. A brace can help keep straight your wrist. Repetitive motion and extra strain on your wrist can make your carpal tunnel symptoms worse. In that case, the wrist pain chiropractor suggests you to wear a wrist brace at work.
Besides the above therapies a chiropractor can help with carpal tunnel syndrome applying massage therapy. Chiropractor may give important tips and specific exercise to reduce your pain. Let’s discuss about that.
Home remedies for carpal tunnel syndrome
- Take a short break: If you play tennis or guitar, typing, use a hand drill, or do any job that you have to move your wrist repeatedly. Try to set a timer for 30 minutes. When it is counted then stop what you are doing. Move your hand freely to improve blood flow.
- Mind your flexion: Try to keep your wrist neutral and straight as much as possible.
- Stay warm: Keep your hand warm that will reduce pain and stiffness on your wrist.
- Stretch your hands: If you have pregnancy, fractures, or other issues responsible for carpal tunnel syndrome. Then stretching your hands will be effective.
- OTC medications: There are some over-the-counter (OTC) medications such as aspirin (Bufferin) and ibuprofen (Advil) may be beneficial for pain relievers. Not only these help to reduce the pain that you face, but also these can reduce inflammation on around the nerve.
What Exercises Will Help With Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
Certain exercises may help to improve minor to major cases of carpal tunnel syndrome. Sometimes chiropractors apply combined treatment with wrist adjustment and these exercises. Doctors also suggest these exercises after wrist surgery.
But do not think that exercises are always helpful. Sometimes, exercises create worse situation. So before taking any step please consult with your doctor or chiropractor.
These exercises are very simple but effective. Wrist rotation, finger stretch, thumb stretch, prayer stretch are very common exercises to help carpal tunnel syndrome.
Your chiropractor may include wrist extension stretch, wrist flexion stretch, medial nerve glides.
What Should I Expect During The Healing Process?
None can say the exact time of recovery from carpal tunnel syndrome. It can take one week to one month. Which depends on how early you start treatment and which treatment you take.
Chiropractors Longview TX is renowned for giving short-term relief from carpal tunnel syndrome.
That’s all. The above discussion gives you the concept, can a chiropractor help with carpal tunnel syndrome or not?
For more information about the healing process from carpal tunnel feel free to contact us. Our experts are always ready to support you.